Automatic encryption is an enterprise only feature that only applies to operations on a collection. Automatic encryption is not
supported for operations on a database or view and will result in error. To bypass automatic encryption,
set bypassAutoEncryption=true in
Explicit encryption/decryption and automatic decryption is a community feature, enabled with the new
A MongoClient configured with bypassAutoEncryption=true will still automatically decrypt.
If automatic encryption fails on an operation, use a MongoClient configured with bypassAutoEncryption=true and use ClientEncryption#encrypt to manually encrypt values.
Enabling client side encryption reduces the maximum document and message size (using a maxBsonObjectSize of 2MiB and maxMessageSizeBytes of 6MB) and may have a negative performance impact.
Automatic encryption requires the authenticated user to have the listCollections privilege action.
encryptedFieldsMap provides more security than relying on an encryptedFields obtained from the server.
It protects against a malicious server advertising false encryptedFields.
Nested Class SummaryModifier and TypeClassDescription
static final classA builder for
AutoEncryptionSettingscan be immutable, and to support easier construction through chaining.
Method SummaryModifier and TypeMethodDescription
builder()Convenience method to create a Builder.Gets the mapping of a collection namespace to encryptedFields.Gets the extra options that control the behavior of auto-encryption components.Gets the key vault settings.Gets the key vault namespace.Gets the map of KMS provider properties.Gets the KMS provider to SSLContext map.Gets the map of namespace to local JSON schema.
booleanGets whether auto-encryption should be bypassed.
booleanGets whether automatic analysis of outgoing commands is set.
builderpublic static AutoEncryptionSettings.Builder builder()Convenience method to create a Builder.
- a builder
getKeyVaultMongoClientSettingsGets the key vault settings.
The key vault collection is assumed to reside on the same MongoDB cluster as the encrypted collections. But the optional keyVaultMongoClientSettings can be used to route data key queries to a separate MongoDB cluster, or the same cluster but using a different credential.
- the key vault settings, which may be null to indicate that the same
MongoClientshould be used to access the key vault collection as is used for the rest of the application.
getKeyVaultNamespacepublic String getKeyVaultNamespace()Gets the key vault namespace.
The key vault namespace refers to a collection that contains all data keys used for encryption and decryption (aka the key vault collection). Data keys are stored as documents in a special MongoDB collection. Data keys are protected with encryption by a KMS provider (AWS, Azure, GCP KMS or a local master key).
- the key vault namespace, which may not be null
getKmsProvidersGets the map of KMS provider properties.
Multiple KMS providers may be specified. The following KMS providers are supported: "aws", "azure", "gcp" and "local". The kmsProviders map values differ by provider:
For "aws", the properties are:
- accessKeyId: a String, the AWS access key identifier
- secretAccessKey: a String, the AWS secret access key
- sessionToken: an optional String, the AWS session token
For "azure", the properties are:
- tenantId: a String, the tenantId that identifies the organization for the account.
- clientId: a String, the clientId to authenticate a registered application.
- clientSecret: a String, the client secret to authenticate a registered application.
- identityPlatformEndpoint: optional String, a host with optional port. e.g. "example.com" or "example.com:443". Generally used for private Azure instances.
For "gcp", the properties are:
- email: a String, the service account email to authenticate.
- privateKey: a String or byte, the encoded PKCS#8 encrypted key
- endpoint: optional String, a host with optional port. e.g. "example.com" or "example.com:443".
For "kmip", the properties are:
- endpoint: a String, the endpoint as a host with required port. e.g. "example.com:443".
For "local", the properties are:
- key: byte of length 96, the local key
It is also permitted for the value of a kms provider to be an empty map, in which case the driver will first
- map of KMS provider properties
- See Also:
getKmsProviderPropertySuppliersThis method is similar to
getKmsProviders(), but instead of getting properties for KMS providers, it gets
Suppliers of properties.
getKmsProviderSslContextMapGets the KMS provider to SSLContext map.
If a KMS provider is mapped to a non-null
SSLContext, the context will be used to establish a TLS connection to the KMS. Otherwise, the default context will be used.
- the KMS provider to SSLContext map
getSchemaMapGets the map of namespace to local JSON schema.
Automatic encryption is configured with an "encrypt" field in a collection's JSONSchema. By default, a collection's JSONSchema is periodically polled with the listCollections command. But a JSONSchema may be specified locally with the schemaMap option.
The key into the map is the full namespace of the collection, which is
<database name>.<collection name>. For example, if the database name is
"test"and the collection name is
"users", then the namesspace is
Supplying a schemaMap provides more security than relying on JSON Schemas obtained from the server. It protects against a malicious server advertising a false JSON Schema, which could trick the client into sending unencrypted data that should be encrypted.
Schemas supplied in the schemaMap only apply to configuring automatic encryption for client side encryption. Other validation rules in the JSON schema will not be enforced by the driver and will result in an error.
- map of namespace to local JSON schema
getExtraOptionsGets the extra options that control the behavior of auto-encryption components.
The extraOptions currently only relate to the mongocryptd process. The following options keys are supported:
- mongocryptdURI: a String which defaults to "mongodb://%2Fvar%2Fmongocryptd.sock" if domain sockets are available or "mongodb://localhost:27020" otherwise.
- mongocryptdBypassSpawn: a boolean which defaults to false. If true, the driver will not attempt to automatically spawn a mongocryptd process
- mongocryptdSpawnPath: specifies the full path to the mongocryptd executable. By default the driver spawns mongocryptd from the system path.
- mongocryptdSpawnArgs: Used to control the behavior of mongocryptd when the driver spawns it. By default, the driver spawns
mongocryptd with the single command line argument
- cryptSharedLibPath: Optional, override the path used to load the crypt shared library. Note: All MongoClient objects in the same process should use the same setting for cryptSharedLibPath, as it is an error to load more that one crypt shared library simultaneously in a single operating system process.
- cryptSharedLibRequired: boolean, if 'true', refuse to continue encryption without a crypt shared library.
- the extra options map
isBypassAutoEncryptionpublic boolean isBypassAutoEncryption()Gets whether auto-encryption should be bypassed. Even when this option is true, auto-decryption is still enabled.
This option is useful for cases where the driver throws an exception because it is unable to prove that the command does not contain any fields that should be automatically encrypted, but the application is able to determine that it does not. For these cases, the application can construct a
- true if auto-encryption should be bypassed
getEncryptedFieldsMapGets the mapping of a collection namespace to encryptedFields.
Note: only applies to Queryable Encryption. Automatic encryption in Queryable Encryption is configured with the encryptedFields.
If a collection is present in both the
schemaMap, the driver will error.
If a collection is present on the
encryptedFieldsMap, the behavior of
If a collection is not present on the
encryptedFieldsMapa server-side collection
encryptedFieldsMapmay be used by the driver.
- the mapping of the collection namespaces to encryptedFields
isBypassQueryAnalysisGets whether automatic analysis of outgoing commands is set.
Set bypassQueryAnalysis to true to use explicit encryption on indexed fields without the MongoDB Enterprise Advanced licensed crypt shared library.
- true if query analysis should be bypassed
toStringpublic String toString()